Welcome to episode 55 of Modified featuring yet another V8 Nissan Patrol but this time it’s a Brunswick Diesel 6.5l V8 GQ Patrol.
The owner Danny was part of our east coast adventure and took us to a few places around Coffs Harbour, one of those places being the morbid track. A track straight up a mountain on some really gnarly terrain. This is where we saw the true capability of the GQ Patrol making the track look like a walk in the park (an awesome gnarly walk I might add).
This twin locked machine is one of the most capable vehicle and by far not over the top. It has what it needs and that’s it.
Click Any Photo To Enlarge Or Open Photo Album.
Sorry, Does NOT work on mobile phone.
Danny has built a legal tough truck that idles up pretty much anything without much trouble, of course picking the right lines is necessary so it’s a good rig driven by a good driver…
Vehicles specs (NOTE* modded details below):
Make model: Nissan GQ patrol
Engine: 6.5 Chevy turbo diesel from Brunswick diesel in WA
Drive train: 5 speed
Suspension: 4 inch lift with Dobinson’s springs in front and kings springs in rear. modified long arm rear , tough dog 9 stage adjustable shocks , superior engineering drag link and tie rod arms and a custom long arm front set up with full custom gearbox cross member.
· 6.5l Chevy turbo diesel
· 2 batteries in back with redarc dc charger with solar input
· built in compressor
· 20" 120 watt light bar on bulbar
· 32" 200 watt light bar on roof rack
· 6" 80watt floodlights angled on bull bar
· eagle eye 10 watt rock lights in all guards
· 2 x 6" rear facing flood lights on roof rack
Comms & GPS:
· GME TX 40 channel full din unit in dash
· VMS navigator
· explore OZ on laptop
Suspension and tyres:
· 4 inch lift with Dobinson’s springs in front
· kings springs in rear
· modified long arm rear
· tough dog 9 stage adjustable shocks
· superior engineering drag link and tie rod arms
· custom long arm front
· Tyres are Dick Cepeck 305/70R16 extreme country
· Dynamic 16 x 8 rims neg22 off set
Bar work and exterior mods:
· upgraded to twin locked GU diffs
· TJM bull bar customised to suit body lift & High mount winch
· Warn High mount winch with Dyneema rope 40m x 14mm
· Custom made rear bar with swing away
· Quarter chop on rear quarters.
· Full custom Rhino roof rack
· ARB awning on drivers side
· Foxing wrap around awning on passenger side
Back of the wagon:
· full custom drawer set up
· built in twin batteries
· full standalone electrical system Inc. solar input and rearc dc charger
· built in compressor
· fridge slide (custom made)
· National Luna 55l fridge
· full ARB kit with extras
• .Fraser island towing a camper all the way to Waddy Point in 2015
• .Pebbly Beach Coffs Coast towing our new Summit caravan
• .Watagans State forest in 2017 boys weekend away extreme 4wdriving
• and off course 2018 with Ronny and the boys on the Coffs Coast
Unstoppable moment in the Nissan GQ Patrol Wagon:
driving wave rock in the wet in the Watagans
Driving through an unexpected bog hole on way to Pebbly Beach towing 2.5 tonne of Summit caravan
Most scary situation in the V8 Nissan Patrol GQ:
Never really had one
Dan's modification tips:
do your research, keep it simple and make sure you get it all engineered.
Things to lookout for with this model GQ:
They do have a tendency to have rust in the rear of the roof on the earlier models and you will need to definitely reinforce the rear top coil spring mounts if you intend on carrying any sort of load. Also drivers door hinges fail. Don’t muck around just replace them with genuine new ones not cheap aftermarket ones
Top 3 tips with the GQ Patrol:
1. Regular servicing.
2. Don’t go for big lifts you don’t need it.
3. Definitely the 4.2 TD diesel motors are the way to go with a turbo of course.
Thanks to the following people for helping with my:
Coffs Harbour Automotive Mick and Cindy